Our Team Can Help Relieve Your Pain
Hammertoes get their name from the way the afflicted toes curve upward into a stiff, unmovable shape that looks similar to the hammers on a piano. In addition to discomfort caused by the condition itself, people with hammertoes often develop painful blisters and corns as the toes repeatedly rub against the inside of their shoes. Fortunately, Dr. Milkie offers effective treatment for hammertoes in Wauwatosa, WI, and can relieve your painful condition.
What Causes Hammertoes?
Though toes can curve naturally due to muscle contractions, these contractions can become permanent as a result of:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Neurological conditions such as degenerative disc disease, cerebral palsy, or stroke
- Structural issues in the foot
- Wearing narrow-toed or high-heeled shoes for a long period of time
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Prolonged bed rest
- Acute injuries such as a broken, jammed, or dislocated toe
Symptoms of Hammertoes
Though the most notable symptom of hammertoes is the toe’s signature hammer shape, patients may also report suffering from difficulty walking, corns and calluses, and an inability to wiggle their toes or flex their foot.
Nonsurgical Treatments for Hammertoes
Treatment options for hammertoes depend on what caused the condition, but generally, the pain from hammertoes can be mitigated by the following:
- Switching to more comfortable shoes
- Encouraging the use of pads or custom insoles that prevent friction
- Realigning the afflicted toes using splints or pads
- Applying OTC creams that provide relief from the pain associated with corns, blisters, or calluses
Contact Us for Effective Treatment for Hammertoes in Wauwatosa, WI
To experience our 5-star-rated podiatric care, schedule your New Patient Consultation today by calling (414) 257-0676. You may also use our convenient online form. Your appointment includes the following:
- Discuss Your Goals
- Complete Examination
- Discover Your Options
- Custom Treatment Plan
- BONUS: Receive a Copy of Dr. Milkie's Book, The Plantar Fasciitis Solution
During your appointment, we will take the time to thoroughly assess your condition and answer any questions you may have. We look forward to helping you live a pain-free life!