by Dr. Christopher Milkie
I would like to share with you my Top Ten Summer Tips for Foot Health. Obviously, we expose our feet much more during the summer season, and have less support in our summer shoes. Add to that the heat and sun… well here goes:
- Apply sunscreen to the top of your feet. Whether it’s going barefoot at the beach or around the pool, or wearing flip flops, our feet are much more exposed to direct sunlight. Applying sunscreen is easily forgotten but just as important as any other part of the body. Since the skin on our feet is less exposed to sunlight throughout the year, it is important to use at least 30 SPF sunscreen. Don’t let the fun of a day in the sun be ruined by the pain of sunburned feet.
- Wear flip flops in public places such as pools, showers, and hotels. it is great protection against fungus and warts.
- If you have othotics, wear them in the summer just as you would any other time of year.
- Don’t go into a pool or lake with a suspected foot infection.
- Wear a high quality pair of walking or running shoes at all our wonderful Milwaukee festivals and the Wisconsin State Fair.
- Treat sweaty feel with an over-the-counter anti-fungual foot powder such as Zeasorb.
- Avoid flip flops, bare feet and sandals when walking and standing for along period of time.
- Wearing water shoes in lakes provides protection against injury form broken glass or sharp sticks or rocks.
- Stress injuries to the feet increase in the summer, so ease into any outdoor exercises and activities.
- Most foot problems can be fixed without surgery, so don’t wait to be seen because you are afraid of being laid up in the summer.