Home Remedies To Treat Calluses
By Milwaukee Foot & Ankle Specialists of Milwaukee, WI
Though most of the time calluses on feet aren’t painful, they can be quite unsightly and sometimes embarrassing, depending on circumstances and what you’re doing. This is especially true in the summer months when sandals and open-toed shoes are often worn.
So, how do you get rid of calluses and help keep your feet soft, moisturized, and healthy? There are a number of home remedies you can try before visiting a podiatrist about the issue.
Warning: Never try to remove calluses by slicing or cutting them! Attempting this can cause an infection and more serious problems.
Soak Your Feet
There are several ways to soak your feet, which is a relaxing and effective way to soften dead skin and calluses. Of course you can choose to use warm, soapy water, but if your focus is on removing calluses, there are a few other things you can add to your warm water for best results.
1. Chamomile tea. Though this may stain your skin slightly, it won’t do any harm and will help to soothe your feet and soften dead skin. If the tea does stain your skin, don’t worry – it’s easily removed with soap and water.
2. Baking soda. All you need is three tablespoons of baking soda in your warm water to help dissolve dead skin and begin the healing process.
3. Epsom or bath salts. The salt helps scrub and exfoliate your skin while the warm water softens it.
When you soak your feet, no matter what you’re using in your water, it’s best to soak for about 30 minutes. This should soften the calluses and from there you can use a pumice stone or foot file to help get rid of your calluses temporarily.
Rough or strenuous filing of the feet stresses your skin, so don’t go overboard – it could make the calluses worse. Remember that calluses are a defense mechanism for your body when an area of skin is stressed too much; if you stress the skin more, it can make things worse.
Home Remedies for Easy Callus Removal
There are some remedies you can try at home that don’t involve soaking your feet, but they can get a bit messy. Here are some simple ways to remove calluses after several treatments. Please do not attempt any of these if your calluses are cracked or bleeding!
1. Mix the following ingredients to make a paste:
a. 5 aspirin pills, crushed
b. ½ teaspoon lemon juice
c. ¼ teaspoon water
Apply to the affected area, then cover with plastic wrap and a wet towel. Let sit for about 30 minutes and then rinse with warm water, dry, and gently rub the callus with a pumice stone.
2. Mix the following ingredients:
a. 1 teaspoon lemon juice
b. 1 teaspoon dried chamomile
c. 1 clove crushed garlic
Apply the mixture to your calluses once or twice daily until your calluses are gone.
3. Sprinkle a slice of onion with salt and a few drops of lemon juice and tape it to your calluses overnight every day for a week and your calluses should go away.
4. Soak a slice of bread in apple cider vinegar overnight to form a paste. Apply the paste to your calluses and secure with a bandage, then leave it on overnight. Repeat daily until the calluses are gone.
When to See a Doctor
Though most calluses aren’t harmful, it’s extremely important to note that if you have diabetes, you should come in no matter how minor your foot issues may seem as the risk of infection and ulcers is too great. If you don’t have diabetes and your calluses get worse or show any strange symptoms like feeling hot to the touch, redness or swelling, cracking or bleeding, or infection, it’s time to see a doctor as the condition may be more serious.
Please call Milwaukee Foot & Ankle Specialists at 414.257.0676 if any of these symptoms appear, you have questions, or you simply want to speak to a podiatrist about your feet. We’re here to help and happy to do so!
At Milwaukee Foot and Ankle Specialists, we have the most cutting edge and innovative technology available. By having digital scanning technology for orthotics, digital X-rays, digital diagnostic ultrasound, laser for removal of toenail fungus & more all in office and available in a moments notice allows you to save time and money.