by Dr. Christopher Milkie
- Wear dry cotton socks, and change them two or three times a day if necessary.
- Wear dry shoes that allow air to circulate around your feet (tight, enclosed, moist shoes contribute to fungal toenail infections).
- Wear shower sandals or shower shoes when you are at a public pool or shower.
- Don’t share shoes or socks with others.
- Don’t share nail clippers or nail files with others.
Try not to injure your nail, such as by cutting it too short (trauma to the nail may lead to infections).