Tips For The Avid Runner From Oak Creek, WI’s Favorite Podiatrists
At Milwaukee Foot & Ankle Specialists, our Oak Creek, WI podiatrists want to make sure that runners and joggers are fully prepared to avoid injuries and other maladies that may arise when you begin any exercise program. Some of the most common foot problems associated with jogging or running that your podiatrists in Oak Creek, WI treat include blisters, corns, calluses, athlete’s foot, shin splints, Achilles tendonitis, and plantar fasciitis. Most can be avoided with proper foot hygiene; clean socks, dry & powdered feet, proper fitting shoes. Oak Creek podiatrists recommend several tips for runners to keep in mind this summer to help prevent the most common injuries.
- Wear proper fitting running shoes – Podiatrists encourage you to shop at a shoe store that caters to runners and joggers, from professionals trained to know exactly what types of running/jogging shoes you’ll need. Be sure your shoes are not to tight, not to loose, to help prevent toe deformities, blisters, or bunions. And be sure to replace your shoes at regular intervals; your sales person can inform you of the proper mileage your shoes may be expected to attain.
- Warm up & and stretch – Proper stretching and warm ups prime the muscles and ligaments and tendons for exercise. Cold, stiff muscles are more likely to get hurt, so warm up for five minutes and then stretch, paying special attention to the calves, hamstrings, quads and feet.
- Adapt into your routine – Take it slow to begin with, as too much too soon may lead to stressed feet and muscles.
- Change up your exercise routine – Consider swimming, cycling, or other cardio activities, to decrease the risk of injuries from hitting the trails or pavement and help to contribute to your overall health.
- Visit Milwaukee Foot & Ankle Specialists – We can help get rid of corns and calluses, provide cortisone injections for heel spurs & more. If you’re already dealing with heel pain or arch pain, we may recommend proper custom orthotics, which are widely available over the counter.
Our podiatry office in Oak Creek, WI is here for you before, during and after your training regime. While we ultimately hope to help you avoid injuries from running or jogging or training, we all know that no one can’t eliminate them. Your Oak Creek podiatrists are here for you. If you have any questions, please request an appointment today.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our Oak Creek, WI podiatry office would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
About Milwaukee Foot & Ankle Specialists
Your Favorite Podiatrists In Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Milwaukee Foot & Ankle Specialists, located in Oak Creek, Wisconsin (WI) treats all medical and surgical foot and ankle conditions, such as foot pain, heel pain and ankle pain.
Dr. Steven Waldman, Dr. Christopher Milkie, Dr. Brant McCartan and Dr. Lucy Meier, our podiatrists in Oak Creek, Wisconsin (WI) can help bring you foot and ankle pain relief.
The Wisconsin podiatrist, foot surgeons and staff of our four podiatry offices offer the most effective and state-of-the-art, quality podiatry care services with a smile to patients near New Berlin, Wauwatosa, Mequon and Oak Creek, Wisconsin.
Return to a pain-free life and get back to the things you love!
Our Oak Creek, WI Podiatry Office: (414) 764-4500
Our New Berlin, WI Podiatry Office: (262) 784-8548
Our Wauwatosa, WI Podiatry Office: (414) 257-0676
Our Mequon, WI Podiatry Office: (414) 228-6444
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.