Got Corns? How to Determine If Corns Are Causing Your Foot Pain
by Dr. Christopher Milkie
Our Fox Point, WI podiatrists see many patients who are unsure if the pain in their feet is being caused by corns. When corns form, they can make walking extremely painful. Corns, while not considered a callus, often form on or near callused skin. This can make it hard for you to tell the two apart.
The most common signs and symptoms of corns include:
- A feeling that you are walking on small stones
- A raised bump of hardened skin
- An area of flaky skin
- An area of either waxy or dry skin
- Pain under the raised area
- Tenderness on and near the raised area
Effective Treatment of Corns
While some corns can be eliminated using over the counter treatments, there are times when you should seek the advice of an experienced Fox Point, WI podiatrist. Corns very often form because of an underlying abnormality in the foot or gait. Because of this, it is important that a podiatrist look at your feet to determine the best way to not only treat the corn but the foot condition that is causing it.
Treatment options for corns and the underlying conditions causing the corn include:
- Creams: Used to soften the area with thickened skin
- Removing of the corn: Should only be done by an experienced podiatrist
- Salicylic acid: Used to remove dead skin after a removal
- Wedges: Placed on the corn to reduce pressure
- Custom Orthotics: To remove pressure and correct gait issues
- Surgery: Surgery may be needed to correct issues such as hammertoes or bunions
Choosing the Right Fox Point, WI Podiatrist
While there are times when a simple removal of the corn prevents it from forming again, the majority of the cases we see are caused by a more pervasive foot issue. Hammertoes and bunions are examples of these underlying causes of corns.
Because of the complicated nature of some of these foot problems, our Fox Point, WI foot specialists believe that it is crucial that your podiatrist does not remove the corn and send you on your way. If an undiagnosed foot problem is causing the corn, it could also be affecting the way you walk and causing you pain and discomfort in other areas of your feet, ankle and legs.
For expert podiatry care you can trust, please call 414.257.0676 to make an appointment at one of our conveniently located Milwaukee area podiatry offices. With offices in Wauwatosa, Fox Point, New Berlin and Oak Creek, we are here for you where you need us, when you need us.
You do not have to live with foot pain; please call today.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.